Top 10 Car Maintenance Tips
What is the secret to having a great running car or truck? Well, there really isn’t a secret. Routine car maintenance is a requirement for every car or truck owner. Basic maintenance can help keep your car running smoothly and decrease the chances of costly repairs in the future. This also can help push car mileage into the high six-figure range. So the difference in having a great looking, smooth running vehicle all comes down to care and regular routine maintenance. Follow these 10 helpful tips to keep your vehicle in great shape. What are you waiting for?
Keep a regular check on the oil. Regular oil changes should occur every 3000 miles. There isn’t a faster way to destroy an engine besides neglecting to change the oil and oil filer regularly.
- Replace the windshield wiper blades and lighting twice a year. A streaky windshield interferes with safe driving. Make sure all interior and exterior lighting is working.
- Brake inspection. Most braking systems come with a sensor that will make a squealing noise when it is time to have the brakes checked. Have the brake pads, rotors and drums checked at each oil change.
- Check all fluids. Power steering, transmission, coolant and brake fluids should be checked regularly.
- The battery. Check the terminals to make sure they are clean and free of corrosion. Also make sure the connection is tight.
- Check the tires. The tire pressure and tread as well as for bald spots and uneven wear. Uneven wear on tires means there is an alignment issue that needs addressed.
- Hoses and belts should be checked for cracks, tightness and excessive wear.
- Have the steering and suspension system checked. Proper heating and cooling is not only important for defrosting purposes but for interior comfort.
- Have the exhaust system checked for leaks, broken or damaged hangers if there is an unusual noise that is heard. Exhaust leaks can be dangerous and should be addressed right away.
- Last but not least: Schedule and keep regular maintenance appointments at your local repair shop.
With these car maintenance tips and a regular scheduled tune-up your car should continue to run like new.
image 1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29233640@N07/3285710885/
image 2: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Windshield_Wipers_1.jpg